For Your Safety - Screening, masks, and sanitation will continue to be implemented at our facility. Please see our blog post for more information.
The most common auto injury is whiplash of the neck. Whiplash type injuries account for approximately 50% of all auto injuries. When a vehicle is hit from the back and jerks a person forward Whiplash injuries can occur. If the car or truck is hit from the front or the side, other types of neck/back injuries may be sustained. These can be similar in nature to whiplash.
Whiplash causes the head to be thrown up and back and then forward from the impact. It happens in a fraction of a second and often people don’t realize it has happened. It causes many of the muscles of the neck and back to be overstretched and possibly torn (strain). It also causes the joints of the neck and back to be sprained with ligaments around the joints getting overstretched and maybe partially torn. A head rest that is the proper height will reduce the amount of whiplash.
Symptoms from auto injuries usually show up within 48 hours but often do not occur for up to two weeks. These are your body’s warning signs and should not be ignored. A vicious cycle can start. Pain causes less activity which causes more stiffness and weakness, which causes more pain and less activity. This delays healing.
Symptoms are usually:
- Pain and aches in the neck and/or back
- Stiffness in the neck, shoulders or back
- Headaches ( front or back of head)
- Fatigue and weakness in the neck and back areas
Other symptoms possible are:
- Tingling in one or both hands or feet
- Difficulty sleeping and concentrating
- Overall fatigue
We can help you!
- Research has proven that the sooner a person starts physiotherapy after their auto accident the quicker they will recover for the short and long term.
What are the benefits?
- Kill and decrease pain
- Return to your life pain free
- Heal faster
- Improve with less or no medication
- Learn how to treat your condition on your own
- Understand your condition and learn there are no mysteries
- Get back to your passions and pursue life!
What are the results?
This information is based on MPI data on 3600 people attending all physiotherapy clinics with whiplash type injuries. The majority of people required 9 to 12 physiotherapy treatments for their recovery. Of course these are average numbers and every patient is unique and may require a lot less or more than the average number of visits to recover.
How do I get started with Manitoba Public Insurance (MPI)?
- Call MPI at 985 7000 to make your claim. You must make a bodily injury claim which is separate from your vehicle claim. For information on how to make a claim visit:
http://www.mpi.mb.ca/en/Claims/Vehicle/Reporting/Pages/vehicle-report.aspx For information on the MPI Personal Injury Protection Plan (PIPP) visit:
- Seek an appointment with our clinic as soon as possible at 925 0380. The faster you begin physiotherapy the quicker you will recover. We should be able to get you in within 24-48 hours. If necessary MPI is required to pay for time off work to attend physiotherapy. You do not need a Doctor’s referral to begin physiotherapy and have it paid for. You should also book an appointment with your family doctor as they are also important in your recovery.
- You must bring in your MPI bodily injury claim number which will enable us to bill MPI on your behalf for treatment.
- Save time by Clicking here to download our patient intake form.
Don’t let pain stand in your way! Physiotherapy treatment will help.